Monday 28 January 2008

Brain Training Games? Stick to the real thing…

Before you rush out to buy that new Nintendo DS in order to develop your brainpower and increase your thinking age, you might want to consider whether the brain training games live up to the hype.

A recent study has shown that there is no real proof that the brain training games made popular recently by Nintendo and Dr. Kawashima really have any effect at all and those of us who spend hours staring into a tiny screen, forcing our hands into an arthritic state from clamping the pointer too hard could be wasting our time altogether.

Cognitive neuro-scientist at the University of Birmingham, Dr. Jason Braithwaite said; “There is no conclusive evidence showing that the continued use of these devices is linked to any measurable and general improvements in cognition. While practice at any task should lead to some form of improvement for that specific task, it is not clear that this improvement reflects anything other than a basic learned process for that specific task.”

This leads me to consider how we might be able to improve our brain power and increase our intelligence. For me it’s simple, stick to the same old principles that have helped us over the centuries. Hard work and determination combined with a drive to learn and absorb knowledge at every given opportunity.

Books for a long time have been my staple for learning. I might not always agree with the author, but this only serves to increase my thought process and hopefully help me to see things from an alternative perspective. I often encourage myself to read something that challenges my own thinking and wipes away some of the cobwebs of my mind.

Then of course we have the process of learning from training events, schooling and universities. A lot will say they struggle to learn in these environments. However, it is my belief that when carried out correctly and in keeping with learning needs of all participants, this form of learning cannot be beaten.

The trouble with these methods of learning? Well, they’re not much fun are they (although I’d challenge that point and encourage you to attend a training event that I put together). Latest developments in E-Learning and the more recent ‘serious gaming’ (a combination of business simulations and computer generated learning events) show an encouraging step towards something ‘sexy’ in the training world. However, it is still too early to say whether these methods will eclipse the tried and trusted methods of development. Better I say to incorporate them into a holistic approach to learning and continue to stretch the boundaries of thinking around making learning fun.

You might by now be thinking that I have strayed somewhat from my initial topic of ‘brain training’, surely I can tell the difference between increasing skills and knowledge and training your brain? Well, I’m afraid I can’t. Training your brain is about challenging your thinking, keeping your mind active and learning new ideas.

I suspect the true reason people have welcomed these games with open arms is that they are seen as ‘easy’ a ‘quick fix’, a bit like belts that exercise your stomach while you sit and eat cake or essays that you can download from the internet and hand in to your teacher. The trouble with this approach is that it simply doesn’t work. If you want success, you have to put in the time and effort.

Of course all of this is subjective. I don’t think there’s any harm in these games at all and if it encourages people to learn, then more is the better. I’m sure that brain training games do provide a much needed element of ‘thinking time’ and combined with the other methods mentioned above must surely encourage your brain to memorise and at least challenge thought patterns to some extent and if not? Well, where there’s no harm there’s no worry.

Anyway, I’m off for a few challenging rounds of bowling on the Nintendo Wii…Well, you’ve got to get out every now and then haven’t you?

Andrew is the Managing Director of Trainer Bubble, who provide business consultancy in areas such as leadership, coaching and effective business development. You can discover more about the wealth of services offered by Trainer Bubble's Consultancy here.

2 comments:

Paul said...

Hi Andrew

Often read your blog, thought this week I'd try a reply. The key for me in your last two articles is that learning is individual and whatever works, use it. I've used a couple of your activities and they are great at making learning fun, the challenge in business is then getting the learning points to improve performance in the workplace. For me that's where the skills of coaching comes in and can all managers coach? With help and guidance maybe, although have met some recently whose fundamental beliefs are such that, it will take such a long time to change, that by the time they realise the importance of people in business, business would have moved on and passed them by.........

Andrew Wood said...

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your comments.

I think you are spot on. Learning should be fun and whatever you can do to get the results you want is good. However, as you mention, if you don't demonstrate the learning gain from the 'fun' elements you will ultimately fail.

It's a dilemma when whatever you do it seems that people (in your case managers) have in-grained beliefs so strong that they are reluctant to change. It's no easy task, but when you get success it's like a ray of light!

I think the old adage stands, 'If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got'. That's why so many managers seem to end their career in that position without moving on.

Perhaps they think that because they did so well to get where they are, they don't need to work any harder? I don't know. There has been mentioned the idea that you are always promoted one level higher than your actual skill level...I'll leave that argument for another day!